What Does It Take To Win Seven Free Holidays?
In this recession-driven economy, who in their right minds would give a complete stranger a free holiday?
But if you know where to look for it, you might be lucky enough to actually get one. Or how about seven free holidays? Seriously! Don’t forget to read the fine print though…
Now that the crazy holiday shopping season is over, you’ve realized that you don’t have much left in your chequebook. So a holiday is the last thing on your mind at the start of the year. But don’t rule it out immediately because there are ways to score yourself an all-expense paid vacation so you won’t have to feel guilty about it.
Now, where would your dream holiday destination would be? London or New York? What about Vanuatu or Dublin? Cannot make up your mind between Malaysia and Cambodia? If the answer is a resounding ‘YES’ to all of the above, then these holiday giveaways are the right thing for the adventurous Australian traveller that you are.
Some tips to consider first:
- Be prepared to travel at off-peak times. This way, you can maximise your chances of leaving the country for a few days and experience living in the other side of the world, or maybe even in just the next continent.
- Follow the rules carefully. You might blow up your only chance of packing up your luggage if you don’t do as the competition asks you to do. Don’t put in a hundred entries if it only says ‘limited to one entry per person only’.
- Have some extra cash with you. The bulk of the expenses you have to pay to earn yourself a holiday are already being shouldered by the organizer and that is already a great deal to begin with. But you also have to factor in different things you have to pay for like travel insurance, food allowance, etc. Make sure you can afford these extras so you won’t have to deal with an insurmountable credit card charges when you get back home.
- Be aware of how the promoter benefits - and make it work for you. Competitions are meant to serve a dual purpose – give you something for free (the holidays) and give the promoter a chance to build their brand or widen their audience base. So when you enter the competition, find out how you can give the promoter what they want so they could single your entry among thousand others. For example, if it requires 25 words or less to answer a simple question, mention the company’s products or key selling points. You’ll never know if it is exactly what they are looking for and they’ll award you the ultimate prize eventually.
- Put in extra effort. You already decided to enter these competitions for the goal of scoring a free holiday. Why not maximise your chances by choosing those that would require a little more elbow grease. This way, you would have fewer entrants to compete with.
- Gotta be in it to win it. This makes the most sense out of all the rules and for obvious reasons. And the more competitions you join in, the higher your chances of winning.
Here are some of the free holidays up for grabs:
- A trip to Dublin, with Tourism Ireland and Etihad (Date restrictions apply)
- Return airfares for two adults from Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne to Dublin
- $2000 to spend on accommodation or car hire in Ireland
Closing date: January 24, 2014
How: Answer three multiple choice questions. Then explain why you want to travel to Ireland with Etihad Airways and what experiences your ideal holiday will include, using 25 words or less.
- A trip to New York from Honda
- Two flights to New York (business class) with limo transfers;
- Standard Hotel accommodation for seven (7) nights;
- Tour to the Empire State Building (VIP)
- A helicopter ride around Manhattan;
- Broadway show tickets;
- Jean-Georges Restaurant reservations
- $2000 spending money
Closing date: March 31, 2014.
How: Enter your details, including whether you'd like to buy a Honda and what type.
- A trip to Mexico from CareerOne (A different prize each month)
- For January, two return flights to Mexico
- $20,000 spending money
Closing date: January 31.
How: Provide your details and sign up to receive STA Travel e-newsletters.
- Flights to Bali with Webjet and Garuda Indonesia (not valid during peak periods)
- Two return flights to Denpasar, Bali with Garuda
Closing date: December 8, 2013.
How: Enter your details and refer at least one other person with a valid email address or
share the competition on Facebook or Twitter.
- A trip to Vanuatu with Vanuatu Tourism (Blackout periods apply.)
- Two return Air Vanuatu flights to Port Vila from Sydney or Brisbane
- Four nights' accommodation.
- Extra prizes if you share the competition details on social media
Closing date: December 8
How: do you win? Enter your details and two words: the first, to describe how you feel
now (before taking a holiday); the second, to describe how you'll feel after taking a
holiday to Vanuatu.
- A trip to Penang with Melbourne Airport and Malaysian Airlines
- Two return flights from Melbourne to Penang, Malaysia
- Three nights' accommodation
Closing date: December 9, 2013
How: Like Melbourne Airport on Facebook, enter your details and
answer: ‘Why you would like to fly to Malaysia with Malaysian Airlines?’ using 25 words or less.
- A tour of Cambodia with Intrepid (Flights and visas are not included.)
- A nine-day tour of Cambodia - departing Ho Chi Minh City
How: Provide your details to set up a "My Intrepid" account and describe the first thing you want to do in Cambodia in 25 words or less.