Writing is a medium of communication that requires clarity and expressions and knowledge on several occasions. It enhances language and literature. These writings get engraved into scriptures that become remnants for time-immemorial. Dialogic pattern of writing skills from the time of Plato makes writing the best friend for the lonesome. There have been several online as well as on the spot creative writing competitions and jobs and contests for people to participate in and one of them is famously called “NationalNovelWritingMonth (NANOWRIMO)”.
Thinking: Creating Writing is all about imagination about any topic or given surroundings or issue. It improves English as we learn to keep our writing within the requisite limits. Ideas should not be copied and unique thoughts will be given credit and importance.
Beautification: Children and participants are expected to think and use better quality words with proper parts of speech such as similes, metaphors, nouns, adjectives and soon. Punctuation makes our expressions and feelings to be put forth in a much clearer way. We should avoid being monotonous in our writing. It is an art. Writers have to be aware of all kinds of slangs which are largely dependent on culture, ethnic and historical background in order to write less controversial and unbiased pieces that do not hurt anybody’s sentiments. Some important foreign words that writers need to know include:
- Per se: is a Latin expression that means “by itself” and “intrinsically”
- De facto: is a “Latin” expression that can be used both as an “adjective”(actual) and “adverb” (in practice)
- Vis-à-vis: French term “face-to-face” and is used as an adverb and can be used as “compared with” or “in relation to”
- Status quo: means current or existing state of affairs
- Cul-de-sac: originated in England by the French meaning “bottom of the sack”
- Ad hoc: it is said that anything made for some specific purpose
Forms: Different forms of creative writing may include diary entry for personal feelings and experiences, paragraph and essay writing, letter writing, novels, story and newspaper editorials which require different kinds of writing patterns and methods:
- Story: word limit ranges from 1000-5000; those under 1000 are “short-stories” or “flash fiction”; usually has several side characters and one protagonist; the story would involve or narrate incidents for a few days or weeks and will have one single plot. For larger stories the readers have to be well acquainted with the characters that form the story or maybe done as we go on with the flow.
- Novel:word limit ranges between 80,000-1,50,000 and possibilities of many sub-plots
- Autobiographies:where we write about ourselves and lifestyles
- Business writings: passive voice should be used and subject has to be clearly specified and formal in approach and is usually typed under a letter-head
- News Writing: use a method called “inverted pyramid” by which we arrange the information journalists gather according to the importance of such pieces.
Writing of any kind is expected to have a lot of influence on the societal developments both positive as well as negative. They may inspire people to know about societies.