Benefits of Midwifery Care during Pregnancy
Choosing the most suitable prenatal care practitioner who will take good care of you all throughout your pregnancy and childbirth is one of the most important decisions that you will make in your life. You want to make sure that you and your unborn child have the best health service and the most satisfying experience ever.
With the high rate of caesarean method all over the world and all the complications that it brings, choosing a midwife is highly recommended. And since childbirth is a woman’s natural ability, why risk experiencing adverse effects brought about by too much hospital intervention? Take a closer look at how having a midwife as your professional health care provider is more beneficial for the mother and the baby:
- The risk of having a miscarriage or stillbirth before the 24th week of pregnancy is greatly reduced. Since midwives almost always works closely with the pregnant woman, being readily available any time of the week, they can closely monitor the important details related to having a healthy pregnancy such as good nutrition and proper diet, exercise and physical well-being, the role of family and surroundings, and so on.
- The necessity of using an epidural or regional anaesthesia during labour is lessened. Midwives provide alternative solutions for pain relief to maximize the chance of having a natural childbirth. What’s better is that you don’t need to worry about the baby getting the side effects from the medication given in hospitals.
- With proper nutrition and close monitoring, midwives aid in a safe labour and successful natural delivery at the comforts of the home of the pregnant woman, thus, avoiding giving birth via caesarean method and having all the unnecessary hospital intervention during and after labour such as the use of IV’s, forceps, urinary catheters, and other instrumental deliveries.
- Midwives provide the emotional confidence needed for a successful delivery. Since they work closely with the pregnant woman all throughout the pregnancy, they give encouragement and pacify the fears associated with painful delivery. This also comes from the fact that the labouring woman is surrounded with people who are close to her rather than strangers inside a surgery room.
- The chance of performing an episiotomy during labour can be avoided. Midwives assist the pregnant women in making a birth plan during the pregnancy period and in practicing various pushing position to decrease the chance of having an episiotomy or even an accidental tearing. Practical solutions to decrease the pain and discomfort are also being shared not only to the pregnant woman but to members of the family, like the husband, as well.
- Midwives always highly recommend that a mother starts breastfeeding the baby as soon as it is born and continues to do so until necessary. No need to pass through all the hospital screening before the baby can be taken out of the nursery room. The first few drops of the mother’s milk have the essential nutrients needed by the new-born child.
- The cost for the services of midwives is a lot lower than doctors’ professional fee. Enough said.
In the end, you still have to weigh the pros and cons of this decision. But if you strongly believe in the value of having a natural childbirth experience, choosing a midwife is the best choice for you and your baby.